Prior to 1948, there were no organized Baptist Churches in Redwood City. Many people who lived here were members of other existing churches on the Peninsula. In 1948 a few Christians, most notably Deacon Ernest Grays, Sister Rosie Grays and Sister C.L. McClain, saw the need and possibility of organizing a church for their immediate community.
The church was organized in the home of Rev. C.L. McClain under the suggested name, True Light Missionary Baptist Church. After the organization, the Rev. C.L. McClain was called and ordained to pastor the church. The church served the community of Redwood City, being only one of its kids unti lthe division in 1949. The division resulted in the organization of the Community Baptist Church under the leadership of Pastor O.W. Baker.
In 1953, the two churches sense the need of combined strength and began to discuss merging the congregations. On August 18, 1953, this plan became reality. The True Light Baptist Church and the Community Baptist Church merged and became the Greater True Light Baptist Church. Both churches were without a pastor at the time and after a period of about thirty days, the Rev. Sydell Peterson was called to lead this new congregation. Deacon Horace Fowler offered the name Mount Zion Baptist Church which was accepted by the church membership approximately six months after the merge.
With a new name, the church began flourishing and taking on new life. Many souls were won to Christ and certain improvements were made upon the physical plant of the church; a social hall and additional properties were purchased.
In May 1958, the Rev. Clifford L. Martin was called to pastor the church. He accepted the call and took charge on June 15, 1958. The church made rapid progress in all phases of their ministry and maintained a spirit of unity under the leadership of Rev. Martin. Musical instruments were cleared of debt, both the first and second mortgages were paid on the one of the church's properties making it debt free, and addtional property was purchased giving Mt. Zion the entire block from Madrone St. to Linden St. on Hemlock Ave.
In 1965, Rev. P.E. Lott was called to pastor. He served three years before choosing to return to his home state to retire. In 1968, Rev. Royce D. Cornelius was called to pastor Mt. Zion. During his administration, the Mt. Zion membershp completed the tasks which resulted in the building of our current sanctuary. In 1971 Rev. J.S. McClain was called as pastor and served approximately five years.
In 1977, Rev. Fred was called to pastor and continues to serve today. He has shifted the church emphasis from the physical building to the temple of the Holy Spirit. Without the burden of structural needs, he has been able to focus on the development of teaching phases and seminars within Mt Zion, serving to encourage and strengthen the memberhsip.
Under Pastor Campbell's administration the staff ministry concept has become a reality. Ministries such as family, youth, evangelism, worship, couples, children and education have been important areas of focus and growth.
In the steps of our predecessors, Mt. Zion continues to take steps in the improvement, stewardshp and growth of our physical church building and properties. A parsonage, educational annex and administrative office have been purchased. In 2005 Mt. Zion added a Multimedia Room to its existing building and provided a "face-lift" with new windows and doors.